Below you can find the FAQ and Errata for Malifaux Second Edition in its entirety. On the right you'll find downloadable PDFs of the files. You are encouraged to download and use the PDFs when playing games.
This page is updated every other month. The most recent changes will be marked with the date: (11/1/16).
Note: The FAQ is skipping a January 2017 update.
The purpose of this Frequently Asked Questions document is to address questions on individual situations which players may find confusing. These are not changes to the rules, simply clarifications for the convenience of Malifaux players. Each question is about an individual situation and does not apply to other situations. There is also a section with errata at the end of this document. This document is updated every other month.
All page references refer to the big rulebook, Malifaux Second Edition.
+ Core Rules Questions
1) If a model has the Focus +1 Condition, can it remove the Condition at the start of a Charge Action in order to gain the bonus to all Attacks generated by the Charge Action? No. It would have to remove the Condition at the start of a single Attack which was generated by Charge and it would only gain the bonus for the duration of that Attack. Other Actions which generate Attack Actions (such as Flurry, Rapid Fire, etc) function in the same way in regards to Focus.
2) If a model is killed by a Condition, which Crew counts as having made the kill? No model or Crew counts as having made the kill.
3) If a model is killed by an Ability or Action, which Crew counts as having made the kill? When a model is killed as the result of an Action, the Crew controlling the Action counts as having made the kill. If a model is killed by an Ability, the model with the Ability counts as having made the kill.
4) If a model is killed by falling damage or hazardous terrain, which Crew counts as having made the kill? No model or Crew counts as having made the kill (see #77 for further clarification).
5) Can you define the terms “base contact” and “base to base contact”? They both mean the same thing: “When the bases of two or more models are physically touching.”
6) If a model is placing a Marker in base contact with itself and the Marker is Ht 0, can the Marker be placed underneath the model’s base? No. The Marker must be placed touching the model’s base, but not overlapping it.
7) Does a model have Line of Sight (LoS) to itself? Yes.
8) If an opposing Crew is temporarily controlling a model, which Crew cheats/spends Soulstones for it? The Crew which controls the model cheats and spends any Soulstones for the model.
9) Can a model spend multiple Soulstones to add multiple suits on a single Action? No, only one Soulstone may be spent to add one suit per Action.
10) Does being immune to damage caused by pulses make a model immune to the damage caused by failing a Simple Duel, if the Simple Duel was generated by a pulse? Yes.
11) If a model has multiple effects on it which end at the end of the Turn, in what order do they resolve? The model’s controller chooses the order in which the effects resolve. See the End Phase section in the rulebook, pg. 35.
12) Can a model use a Soulstone to prevent damage which may not be reduced? Yes. Damage prevention is different than damage reduction.
13) Can a model spend a Soulstone to prevent damage dealt by the Poison Condition? Yes.
14) When a model which was buried is being unburied, who places the model? The controller of the model which describes how the model is unburied places the model unless otherwise noted. For example, if a Death Marshal buries a model and then the model becomes unburied because the Death Marshal is killed, the Death Marshal unburies the model and therefor determines its placement. However, if Bete Noire is unburied by her Drawn to Death Ability, her controller unburies her.
15) Some Actions say they can only be taken once per Turn. If a model takes an Action which states it can only be taken once per Turn and fails, can it take the Action again? What if another model uses an Action such as Obey on the model, can it take the Action again? If a Trigger allows the model to take the Action, can it be used to take the Action a second time? No. A model which has an Action with the “once per Turn” restriction may only take that Action once per Turn. Same answer for Actions which are “once per Activation.”
16) Could you break down when “One per Activation” Actions can and cannot be used? Sure. If the Action has already been taken during the current Activation, then it may not be taken again. If the Action has not been taken yet during the current Activation, then it may be taken.
17) If a model suffers 0 (zero) damage, does it count as having suffered damage? No.
18) Can a Crew hire one totem, and then summon another totem during the course of the game? Yes, although frequently models which can do this have some sort of built in restriction. Check the individual model’s card.
19) When shooting into an engagement, can models which are not within LoS of the model which is shooting end up becoming the target of the Attack due to randomization? Yes.
20) When shooting into an engagement, do you flip cards for models which are not technically engaged with the target, so long as they are within 2" of the target? Yes.
21) When shooting into an engagement, what if every model which would be randomized has a rule which states a card is not flipped for it? For example, if Santiago is shooting into an engagement between a friendly Family model and a Doppleganger and no other models are within 2"? If there are no models within 2" of the target (including the target) which may have a card flipped for them when shooting into an engagement, then the target is chosen normally without any randomization.
22) Some Abilities and Actions have lowering a Condition value as a cost. For example, “This model may lower its Poison Condition value by 1 to do something.” Can the Condition value be lowered below 0 as the cost of such an Action? In other words, would a model be able to use the above Action if it was not affected by the Poison Condition at all? No.
23) I’m a little confused about how you score VP from the Cursed Object scheme (rulebook pg. 69), could you explain that a bit? If your Crew chose the Cursed Object scheme, then at the end of the Turn (during the Earn Victory Points step, rulebook pg. 35) you may end the Cursed Object Condition on one enemy model to earn one VP. An Action does not need to be taken to end the Condition in this way, simply choose one enemy model with the Cursed Object Condition, announce that you would like to remove the Cursed Object Condition from that model, and earn one VP. Only one VP may be earned this way per Turn.
24) If a model moves (or is Pushed, Falls, is Placed, etc) 0" (zero inches), does it count as having moved? No. Same answer for Pushing, Falling, Placement, etc.
25) The Focused Condition reads: “Focused +1: This model may remove this Condition when declaring an Action to gain a number of + to the Action’s duel and damage flip equal to the value of the Focused Condition removed.” Can the value of the Focused Condition be lowered incrementally, or does the model have to end the entire Condition? The model has to end the entire Condition.
26) If a Henchman is leading a Crew, can a totem be hired? Yes. There is some fluff description about masters beckoning totems, but the totem rules are in the second paragraph of the entry. A Henchman leading a Crew may hire a totem. However, keep in mind that most totems can only be hired by a specific Master, so Henchmen will need to look at the generic totems.
27) Can a Crew hire more than one Henchman? Yes. A Crew may hire as many Henchmen as it likes. Keep in mind that all Henchmen (as of this date) have the Rare 1 Characteristic, so a Crew may never have two of the same Henchman, however a Crew may have multiple, different Henchmen.
28) In this example, does Lilith have cover from Rasputina, as Lilith’s base is partially located within soft cover?
No. None of the LoS lines between the models pass through terrain which grants soft cover.
29) Some models have an a that treats area around them as hazardous. How does this work? The area within the model’s aura is treated as a unique set of hazardous terrain (and therefore deals 1/2/4 damage). In the example (see FAQ download), Gamin A would make a flip for Jaakuna’s aura when it finishes its movement. Gamin B would make a flip for the lava and one for Jaakuna when it activates. Gamin C would also make two flips: one for entering the aura, and one for entering the lava.
30) When do “After Succeeding” Triggers occur? They occur after Step 5 of the Action sequence, so after applying the results of the Action.
31) Can a model ever be reduced to a negative number of Wounds? No. The lowest number of Wounds a model may ever have is zero (0).
32) If two models on 30mm bases are trying to draw LoS to each other, can another model on a 30mm base which is positioned perfectly between them block that LoS? Yes, although it would be very difficult to position the models in such a way.
33) What happens if a model is forced to make a duel on a stat which is listed as “-”. In that case, the model would count that stat as zero (0) for the purposes of the duel.
34) What, exactly, is the Red Joker? What damage category does it count as dealing? What is the printed suit counted as? The Red Joker has a value of 14 and a wild suit, chosen by the player it belongs to when it is flipped or played. For all game purposes, the suit chosen by the player counts as having been printed on the card. Although the Red Joker deals an amount of damage equal to Severe plus Weak, it counts as dealing Severe damage for the purposes of any rules which reference damage categories (for example, Molly’s Revelation Attack Action would inflict Paralyzed on the target in the case of Red Joker damage, and Nix’s Weakness Ability would reduce the Red Joker to Moderate damage).
35) If two models are in base to base contact, and an Ability pushes one of them exactly 3" away, how much distance is considered to be in between the two models? Are they considered to be within 3" of each other? As base to base contact is considered to be exactly 0" apart, the models would be exactly 3" apart after the push and therefore still within 3" of each other.
36) Does cover stack? If a model gains both hard and soft cover, can it benefit from both? No. The model must choose one source of cover from which to benefit.
37) If a model gains a stackable Condition from two different sources each with a different timing for when the Condition ends, when does the Condition end? For example, if a model takes the Defensive Stance Action to gain Defensive +1 until the start of its next Activation, but then gains the Defensive Condition from the Guardian which lasts until the start of the Guardian’s Activation, when does the Condition end? The most recent application of a stackable Condition determines its end point. So in the example above, the model would gain Defensive +1 which ends at the start of its next Activation. Then the model gains an additional Defensive +2 from the Guardian, which stacks to Defensive +3 and ends when the Guardian starts its next Activation or is removed from play. The end time on the Defensive gained from the Guardian is used because that was the most recent application of the Condition.
38) Some Actions/Abilities allow models to attach Upgrades during the game. Do these Actions/Abilities need to adhere to the restrictions listed on the Upgrade, or can they be attached to any model? Upgrade restrictions only affect the hiring process, and have no in game effect, so these Upgrades may be attached to any model. If there are any restrictions they will be noted in the Action or Ability’s description. It is worth noting some such Actions and Abilities bother noting “ignoring restrictions” but this is simply reminder text which was put on when there was space available.
39) Can a model take the Defensive Stance Action as a (0) Action? No, unless it has a special ability explicitly stating otherwise.
40) Can the numerical value of cards used for the damage flip be modified? For example, by the Leave it to Luck Action? No. However, it may receive + and - modifiers as normal.
41) Can a model end its move halfway up a Climbable surface? Is it possible for the model to end its move suspended in mid-air if the base does not fit on the terrain, and the terrain has the Climbable trait? Technically, yes. However, players define their own terrain before the game. It is likely best to only define things as “Climbable” which are actually Climbable (i.e. stairs, ladders, steep hills, etc). If you choose to define a sheer, vertical cliff as Climbable you can have the odd situation of a model suspended in mid-air, but this is no different than defining a solid, 6” tall rock as Severe terrain and then having difficulty in balancing your models on it; it likely should have just been defined as impassable, be careful how you define terrain.
42) If two models are engaged, and one of them wishes to take a Walk Action which will result in it no longer being in LoS of the model it is engaged with (without actually leaving the engagement range) will this provoke a disengaging strike? No. Disengaging strikes only occur if the model intends to leave the engagement range. Although the models will no longer be engaged once their LoS to each other is broken, no disengaging strike occurs unless the model is also leaving the engagement range.
43) When does a model count as having been Activated, at the start of its Activation or at the end of its Activation? For example, if a model is somehow Attacked during its Activation, would it benefit from Manipulative? A model counts as having Activated at the start of its Activation as soon as it is selected to Activate. It would stop benefitting from things like Manipulative at this time.
44) How do you measure accurately for the Protect Territory Scheme? Protect Territory states that you score VP for Scheme Markers which are “at least” 6" away from your Deployment Zone. This means that you score VP for any Scheme Marker which is exactly 6" (or more) away from your deployment zone. The Scheme Marker is exactly 6" away if the closest edge is exactly 6" away from your Deployment Zone. If any portion of the Scheme Marker is closer than that, then it is not at least 6"away.
45) If a model on a 30mm base is positioned perfectly on top of a 30mm Scheme Marker (or similar) such that the Marker is completely covered, can other models draw LoS to the Marker? Yes. A model on a 40mm base or larger would be able to block LoS to the Marker, but a 30mm base does not block LoS (nor can it stop another model from being in base contact with the Marker).
46) When an Attack generates multiple Blast Markers, do all of the Markers need to be placed in base contact with the target? No. Only the first Marker placed must be placed in base contact with the target. Subsequent Markers are placed in base contact with other Blast Markers, but do not need to be placed in base contact with the target (unless the model or Action specifies otherwise).
47) If a model has immunity to Blasts and it is hit with an Attack which includes a Blast icon in the damage profile, is the model immune to that attack? Or is it only immune to damage caused by having a Blast Marker placed over it? The model is only immune to damage caused by having a Blast Marker placed over it, so it is not immune to the Attack.
48) If a model’s Activation is ended by an Action or an Ability, what happens? What if it was not Activating? If a model is performing its Activation and its Activation is ended by an Action or Ability, then the model’s Activation immediately ends. It may not take any further Actions, resolve any of its Triggers which have not happened yet (even if they were declared), or do anything else that happens during its Activation; it moves to the end Activation step. If an Action or Ability which ends a model’s Activation is applied to a model outside of its Activation (such as during an Action caused by Obey) there is no effect.
49) Can a model climb Climbable terrain during a Charge Action? Yes, a model only needs to move in a straight line from a top-down perspective. It may climb if it has the movement to do so.
50) What does “ignore” mean in the rules? For example, Rusty Alyce’s Burn Out Action says the damage cannot be ignored. Ignore refers to any way to avoid the game effect, be it through redirection, Conditions, or other game rules. For example, the Terracotta Warrior’s Ancient Protection Condition seems to allow the Terracotta Warrior to suffer the Burn Out damage instead of the initial target. This means the original target of the Burn Out Action is not impacted by the Burn Out Action, and therefore it was ignored. A Terracotta Warrior would not be able to use Ancient Protection to suffer the damage caused by Rusty Alyce’s Burn Out because it cannot be ignored by the initial target. (11/1/16)
+ Actions and Abilities Found Across Multiple Factions
51) If a model is removed from play (killed, sacrificed, etc) during its Activation, can it use the Accomplice Ability before it is removed from play? Can other models within range use the Companion Ability? No.
52) Can an Action which takes an Action on another card (such as for Magical Extension or Just Like You) be taken if the model whose Action is being taken is not in play? No, unless the Action specifically allows for it (such as the Brutal Emissary).
53) Can AP from Melee Expert be used to take Actions which aren’t Ml Actions, for example, Charge? No. The Melee Expert Ability states, “This model gains 1 additional AP which may only be used to take Ml Actions.” Although the Charge Action can produce Ml Actions, it is not an Ml Action itself.
54) Does the Hard to Kill Ability count as damage reduction? In other words, do Attacks and damage that ignore “damage reduction” prevent Hard to Kill? No, Hard to Kill is not damage reduction. Attacks and damage which ignore damage reduction would not ignore Hard to Kill.
55) It seems that there are two different wordings for the Hard to Kill Ability (for example on Joss’s and Cojo’s cards). Which wording is correct? Both wordings play the same way. However, they should have been consistent. The correct wording is found on Cojo’s card: “Hard to Kill: While this model has 2 or more Wd remaining when it suffers damage, it may not be reduced to below 1 Wd.”
56) It seems there are two different versions of Bullet Proof. One says “Sh Attack Actions” and the other says “Sh Actions,” which is correct? Sh Actions. Bullet proof protects against Sh Tactical Actions as well.
57) If a model with the Lure Action targets a model in base contact, can Lure be used to move the targeted model, so long as it ends in base contact with the model taking the Lure Action? No. A model which is already in base contact may not be moved any further with the Lure Action.
58) If a model is pushed off of an edge high enough to necessitate a fall, does it fall immediately? Could it be pushed far enough to reach another surface of equal height (assuming there was such a surface)? Models which fall due to a push, fall immediately (models also generally fall immediately during regular movement unless they have Flight or Incorporeal). The model would be pushed off of the ledge and then immediately fall and take any necessary falling damage upon reaching the ground. Then, if there is any distance left required by the push (and the model is still in play), it will push the remaining distance.
59) How do the Flight and Incorporeal abilities interact with vertical terrain? Can a model with Flight end its move a further vertical distance from its starting point than its Walk stat would normally allow? Can a model with flight “leap” over a gap in two pieces of terrain? A model with Flight ignores terrain for all purposes while moving. However, the distance the model moves is still limited by the length of the move the model is allowed to take. Add the distance the model moved horizontally in relationship to its starting point to the distance the model moved vertically upwards (downwards movement is falling and it is never counted against a model’s movement total) in relationship to its starting point. This value may not exceed the distance allowed by the move the model was making. For example, a model with a Wk of 6 and Flight declares a Walk Action. It is on a Ht 3 building and wishes to move to a point on a separate terrain piece (a Height 5 building) which is 3" away. It takes the model 5" of movement to get there (3" of horizontal movement and 2" of vertical movement because the difference between the Heights of the buildings is 2, and the model is moving upwards). Since the model has a Wk of 6, it can make it to the desired point on the Ht 5 building and still has 1" of movement to use as it wishes once it gets there. Incorporeal models move in the same way, though they may take falling damage if the end point of their move is on a lower Ht, depending on the terrain (see falling, Core Rulebook pg. 42).
60) The Incorporeal Ability allows a model to reduce all damage it suffers from Sh and Ml Actions by half. Is the damage rounded up or down? For example, if an Incorporeal model suffers 3 damage from an Ml Action, is the damage reduced to 2 or 1? The damage is rounded up. So, an Incorporeal model suffering 3 damage from an Ml Action would reduce that damage to 2.
61) Does Diving Charge allow the model to ignore LoS while taking a Charge Action? No.
62) If a model with the Finish the Job Ability is killed, can it place a Scheme Marker within 4” of another friendly Scheme Marker (or while engaged)? Yes. Finish the Job is not an Interact Action, so the restrictions on using the (1) Interact Action to place Scheme Markers do not apply.
63) Can a model that declares the Flay Trigger cheat the damage flip against a model with Impossible to Wound? No.
64) When a Gremlin deals damage and activates the Dumb Luck Trigger, does the gremlin take half of the total damage flipped, or half of the damage actually put onto the target? For example, if Dumb Luck caused the target to suffer 4 damage, but the target had Armor +2, reducing that damage to 2, would the Gremlin take half of the original 4 damage, or half of the 2 damage suffered after accounting for Armor? The Gremlin takes half of the total damage flipped, so the Gremlin in the example would suffer 2 damage (4 divided by 2). This answer applies to any Triggers which generate something based on the amount of damage suffered by the target (for example, the Desolation Engine’s Restabilize Trigger and Lelu’s Drink Blood Trigger).
65) If a model with the Eat Your Fill Ability kills a model with the Explosive Demise Ability, which Ability occurs first? Does the Attacker heal from Eat Your Fill first, or does the Defender deal damage with the Explosive Demise Ability first? The Defender would deal damage with the Explosive Demise Ability and then the Attacker would heal due to Eat Your Fill. Explosive Demies happens “when” the model is killed and Eat Your Fill happens “after” the model is killed.
66) If a model has an “After Damaging” Trigger which allows it to push/move and it kills a model with Explosive Demise, can it use its Trigger to push/move away from the model it killed before taking damage from Explosive Demise? No. Explosive Demise happens when the model is killed, which would be during Step 5 of the duel process (Determine Success, Core Rulebook pg. 33) and After Damaging Triggers occur after Step 5 (Core Rulebook pg. 32).
67) Can the Lure Action move a model off a cliff, resulting in it being killed by the fall damage? Further, can models choose to move off of a fall which would kill them? Yes and yes, in the case of Lure so long as the model is moving such that it is taking the shortest route towards the model taking the Lure Action.
68) Do models with Flying and Incorporeal treat Markers with terrain traits as if they were actual terrain? Yes, as do all other models.
69) If a model has an Action or Ability which can copy an Action on another model but has a stipulation that the copied Action may not list any models by name (such as Just Like You! on the Malifaux Child), does that include Conditions contained within the copied Action which list a model by name (such as Protection of Metal on the Metal Gamin)? Also, can Actions be copied which force the player to name a specific model but do not list one? (For example, Nicodem’s Re-animator Action says to “name a Resurrectionist Minion Undead model,” but does not actually list one by name.) Actions such as Just Like You! which copy other Actions which do not list a model by name may not take either sort of Action. Conditions which are part of an Action’s text are considered to be a part of the Action for this purpose, so it does not matter where the model is listed by name. In the case of Actions such as Re-animator, naming a model is a part of the Action, so it again breaks the “may not list a model by name” restriction.
70) If a Trigger on an Action causes a damage flip, does that count as part of the original Action? Is it modified by things like the Accuracy Modifier and Focus? Yes, Triggers that cause damage flips are a part of the Action which caused them and any damage flip on such a Trigger would retain any modifiers to the original flip including Accuracy, Focus, cover, etc.
71) Can a model use the Eat Your Fill Ability outside of its own Activation (for example, while being Obeyed)? Yes. It may still heal and simply does not have an Activation to end.
72) Do models need to make Horror duels due to the Terrifying Ability while taking disengaging strikes? Unless the Horror Duel is ignored for some other reason, yes it must take one.
73) If a model is moved by the Lure Action and ends in base contact with the Attacker, can it end anywhere in base contact if it has the movement to do so? No. The Lured model moves towards the Attacker by the shortest route possible and stops as soon as it is in base contact.
74) If a model is pushed “into base contact” with an Incorporeal model, can it move through the Incorporeal model and stop on the other side? No. It stops as soon as base contact is acheived.
75) If a model is able to take Charges as a (1) Action and it is Obeyed to Charge, could it be targeted by Obey again during the same Activation if the Charge results in the model making Attacks? No. If any Attacks are made during the course of the model being Obeyed (including Actions generated by other Actions) then it may not be targeted by Obey again during the same Activation.
76) What is the timing on the Rush of Magic Ability in regards to using a Soulstone to draw extra cards? Rush of Magic happens before using a Soulstone to draw additional cards. So a player would both draw and discard any cards due to Rush of Magic before deciding whether to use a Soulstone.
77) If a model with the Stalk Action is engaged and it has the opportunity to Walk due to the Stalked Condition, does it have to declare that the Walk will take it as close to its target as possible, triggering a disengaging strike, or can it end the Walk at the edge of engagement? The model with Stalk must declare that the Walk will end as close to the model with the Condition as possible. If this results in a disengaging strike, then the strike proceeds as normal. Ending the Walk at the edge of engagement is not an option if it is capable of getting closer by leaving.
78) Some models have Actions or Abilities which create Hazardous Terrain. If another model is killed by one of these Actions or Abilities, does it count as being killed by the model with the Action or Ability for Strategy and Scheme purposes? If the model creates Hazardous terrain around itself with an Aura, then it counts as having killed any models which are killed as a result of the Aura (i.e. a model which is killed by Jaakuna Ubume’s Drowning In Her Wake Ability counts as killed by Jaakuna Ubume). However, if the model creates separate Markers which are Hazardous, any models killed by those Markers count as having been killed by neither Crew (i.e. Hungry Land Markers generated by the Mysterious Emissary).
79) If a model is engaged and attempts to leave, but is stopped by a disengaging strike, would it have to perform a Horror Duel if it is engaged with a model with the Terrifying Ability? No. The disengaging strike section states “the model may not perform the Walk Action.” Since it cannot end an Action it did not perform, a Horror Duel is not necessary for ending a Walk Action engaged with a Terrifying model.
80) Can the Austringer’s Deliver Orders Action be used to make a model take an Interact Action if the model usually would not be able to? For example, if the target is engaged? No. The Austringer’s Deliver Orders Action allows the model to make an Interact Action, so all usual rules for Interact Actions must be followed.
81) If a Guild model has the Vengeance Bullet Upgrade and is temporarily controlled by an enemy (for example: during Obey) can the enemy choose to discard the Vengeance Bullet Upgrade if it is taking an Sh Action against a model which can use Soulstones? Yes.
82) Does a model benefiting from Hoffman’s Power Loop Condition retain its native printed suits, or does it lose all suits when using another model’s stat? A model replacing its numerical stat using Power Loop would retain its native printed suits in regards to its stats, but would ignore any suits printed on the model from which it is copying the numerical value.
83) How do stat modifiers, such as Von Schill’s Cracked Condition, work in regards to the Power Loop Condition? This is best illustrated with an example. Imagine a Hunter and a Peacekeeper, both with Power Loop. The Peacekeeper has the Cracked Condition, giving it -1 Df. If the Hunter wishes to use the Peacekeeper’s Df, it will not suffer the -1 Df from Cracked, as that is not a part of the Peacekeeper’s printed Df. However, if the Peaceeper wanted to use the Hunter’s Df, it would replace its Df with the Hunter’s Df and then suffer the -1 from Cracked.
84) When using Power Loop in conjunction with the Overwhelm Trigger on Sea of Claws, are the penalties to Ml cumulative? Yes. Each Attack taken with Overwhelm applies a further -1 Ml, all of which are applied to each Attack, regardless of Power Loop.
85) Can Sonnia kill a target with Flameburst, trigger Consuming Flame, and then use the Violation of Magic Ability to summon a Witchling Stalker? What happens first, Consuming Flame or Violation of Magic? Violation of Magic happens first so Sonnia would not be able to summon a Witchling Stalker. Violation of Magic occurs “when the target is reduced to 0 Wounds.” This would happen during Step 5 of the duel process (Determine Success) as results are applied during this step (Core Rulebook pg. 33). Consuming Flame is an After Damaging Trigger, which occurs after Step 5 (Core Rulebook pg. 32). So Consuming Flame would not have given the target Burning before Violation of Magic happens and no Witchling Stalker may be summoned (unless, of course, the target already had Burning from another source).
86) If a model with the Burning Condition and the Explosive Demise Ability is killed within range of Sonnia’s Violation of Magic and she chooses to summon a Witching Stalker, is the Witchling Stalker summoned before or after the Explosive Demise Ability occurs? Violation of Magic occurs “when the target is reduced to 0 Wounds.” When a model is reduced to 0 Wounds it is “immediately killed” (Core Rulebook pg. 51) so Violation of Magic and Explosive Demise have the same timing point. In this instance, see the General Timing rules on pg. 46 of the Core Rulebook:
- The Acting model resolves its Abilities
- The Defending model resolves its Abilities
- Any models controlled by the first player resolve their Abilities (in an order of the player’s choosing)
- Any models controlled by the second player resolve their Abilities (in an order of the player’s choosing) If Sonnia is the Acting model (i.e. if she killed the model with Explosive Demise with one of her Actions), then she would resolve her Abilities first and summon a Witchling Stalker and it would then take damage as the Defender’s Abilities are triggered. However, if another model killed the Defender, then Sonnia would resolve her Abilities in either step 3 or 4 (depending on whether her player was first or second player) which would be after the Defender resolved its Explosive Demise in step 2.
87) Does the See The Unseen Ability count as an Immunity to the duels it ignores? No, it simply ignores them. Immunity is a game term, as such it would have to be specifically labeled that way.
88) When a model is suffering damage from Poison and it is within range of Sebastian’s Induction Ability, increasing the Poison damage being dealt, can the damage be reduced? No. Damage dealt by the Poison Condition may not be reduced.
89) If a model with 2 wounds remaining is killed by the Poison Condition while within range of Sebastian’s Induction Ability, does Sebastian count as having killed the model? No, the damage is still dealt by the Poison Condition, Induction just causes Poison to deal more damage.
90) If a model is affected by both the Hallucinogens and Uppers Conditions (applied by the Nurse), what can it do when it Activates? Not very much. It would not be able to declare any Actions during that Activation as there are no Actions which would satisfy the requirements of both Conditions.
91) The Nurse’s Take Your Meds Action specifies that it must declare a Trigger. What if the model taking the Action is unable to declare Triggers? Then the Action would not be able to declare any Triggers.
92) When healing damage from the Organ Donor Ability, does McMourning heal an amount of damage equal to what he initially flipped, or to what is actually put onto the target after accounting for things such prevention flips, etc? Same question for Seamus and Live For Pain. McMourning heals an amount of damage equal to what he initially flipped, not what the target took after prevention and other similar abilities. Same answer for Seamus.
93) Can we get some more details on how the Nurse’s Hallucinogens Condition works? Sure! The Hallucinogens Condition causes any Ml Actions which deal damage to deal +2 damage. So if the Action causes no damage, it does not benefit from the +2. However, if the model creates multiple damage sources with a single Attack (such as with Hammerfall) each damage source would also benefit from the +2 damage as it is a part of the Action.
94) Kirai’s Of Pity and Wind Trigger allows a Spirit to suffer the effects of an Attack Action as if it had been the target. Does the Spirit need to be a valid target of the Attack? Does Kirai still suffer the effects of the Attack? How does this work with Attack Triggers that cause more Actions such as Onslaught? Kirai will not suffer the effects as the Spirit is doing so instead. The Spirit does not need to be a valid target of the Attack. If the Attack Triggers additional Attacks which must be made “against the same target” (such as with Onslaught) then the Spirit will be the target of those Attacks. If the Spirit is not a valid target for additional Attacks, they may not be made.
95) McMourning’s Road Kill Scholar Ability states that he summons a Canine Remains “if a model is killed by the Poison Condition.” How does the timing work out in relation to Explosive Demise when Pere Ravage is killed by the Poison Condition at the end of the Turn? Will Explosive Demise happen before or after the Canine Remains is summoned? Abilities that happen “if” a certain situation arises happen “when” that situation arises, so Explosive Demise and Road Kill Scholar would have the same timing point in the above example. In this instance, see the General Timing box on pg. 46 of the core rulebook. As there is no Acting or Defending model, the Abilities belonging to that Turn’s First Player would go first.
96) If a Vulture uses Eyes and Ears, and Nicodem uses Undead Crowning, can the Vulture produce the Aura, or does the Aura have to be centered on Nicodem? The Aura must be centered on Nicodem.
97) Does Kirai need to summon Ikiryo within her LoS when summoning it with the Malevolence Ability? Yes. Actions and Abilities which summon require LoS (this can be found in the Errata).
98) What is the timing of Sloth’s “Just Lay Down” Trigger? Just Lay Down happens “after this model fails” which is the same as “after failing,” so the Trigger would take place after step 5 (the Attacker has applied results).
99) If my Carrion Emissary casts Shards of Kythera, how many Mindless Zombies do I get before the Markers are removed? You get one Mindless Zombie from the Action, regardless of the placement of the Markers. If you manage to use the Action twice in a turn, you would still only get one Mindless Zombie because it removes all Markers. If you have Markers in different locations, you can choose which Marker(s) to summon your Mindless Zombie to. (11/1/16)
100) How does the timing work on Marcus’s Trail of the Gods Upgrade when he chooses the Fury of the Tiger Condition? Trail of the Gods allows Marcus to choose one (or more) Conditions when he Activates (due to the Voracious Heart Ability), and the Fury of the Tiger Condition grants Marcus one additional AP when he Activates. Can both of these things happen at once? Yes. A model may have multiple effects go off at the start of its Activation. So, Marcus may use Voracious Heart to gain the Fury of the Tiger Condition and gain one additional AP from the Fury of the Tiger Condition at the start of the same Activation (note AP from Fury of the Tiger may only be used to take Ml Attack Actions).
101) Joss has Burning +3 and Armor +2. He’s within the healing aura from Kearis’ Purifying Fire upgrade, does his Armor reduce the healing to 1 or does he heal the full 3? He would heal the full 3, regardless of modifiers. Similarly, anything which would increase the Burning damage would not increase the healing from Purifying Fire.
102) Rasputina’s Sub Zero Trigger states that it immediately ends the Attacker’s Activation. If a model Charges and Rasputina uses the Sub Zero Trigger on the first Attack, would the Attacker still get the second Attack from the Charge Action? No. When the model ends its Activation it immediately proceeds to the end Activation step and it may do nothing further; it may not take any more Attacks, declare Triggers, or otherwise do anything it would normally do during its Activation.
103) If Sandeep has the To Behold Another World Upgrade and flips Moderate or Severe damage, does the target gain Paralyzed if the damage is completely prevented or reduced to zero (0)? No, it doesn’t gain Paralyzed. To Behold Another World requires the target to suffer damage, which a model taking 0 damage is not (see FAQ #17). For example, if Seamus discarded his Mad Haberdasher Upgrade to reduce the damage to 0, he would not be Paralyzed. (11/1/16)
104) If a model which is able to generate Sh Attacks during a Charge charges a model with the Perfect Camouflage Ability, will the Attacking model suffer two - or one? The Attacking model will only suffer one -. Perfect Camouflage “checks” to see if an Attack was generated by a Charge or is an Sh Action at the same time, and it will apply one - in either scenario.
105) If a model with Armor is within range of multiple models with the Misery Ability and the model fails a Wp duel, does it suffer 1 damage from each model with the Misery Ability? Or does it suffer “one lump sum” of damage which it would then be able to reduce with Armor? It would suffer 1 damage from each model with the Misery Ability separately.
106) Does the Fear Given Form Ability affect friendly models within the aura? Does it affect the model the Upgrade is attached to? Yes, friendly models are affected. No, the model with the Upgrade attached is not affected.
107) Some Attacks (such as on the Moon Shinobi) allow the attacker to choose whether the Resist is Wp or Df. In the case of such an Attack, can Pandora use her Expose Fears Ability to resist with Wp instead of Df, even if the attacking model chose Df as the resist? Yes. Pandora may still use Expose Fears.
108) Can Pandora take the Self Harm Action against a model without a z Attack? (Same question for Self Loathing and y Attacks). Yes. The Attack would simply be unable to deal damage. Self Harm selects a z Attack on the target and applies the damage, but does not require the target to have a z Attack. Attacks that require the target have a certain trait in order to target are generally worded, “Target model with a z Attack…” Self Harm is not worded in this way.
109) Lilith’s Master of Malifaux Ability states that she does not need LoS, and the Silurid’s Silent Ability states that models may not ignore LoS when targeting the Silurid. When Lilith targets a Silurid, does she need LoS? Yes. Lilith needs LoS.
110) How does the timing for the Safe In My Bed Trigger work? When does The Dreamer discard his card, is it before or after determining damage? Will defensive Abilities such as Impossible To Wound come into play for the Nightmare which suffers the effects? The card is discarded after determining that The Dreamer lost the duel but before determining any damage. Safe In My Bed does not use any of the keywords which have a specific timing in the book, so it must be applied when it says, which is “after an Attack Action succeeds against this model,” so immediately after the duel, but before determining damage. If the new target has any defensive Abilities such as Impossible to Wound or Armor, apply them as normal. However, things which happen when determining a target, such as Terrifying, will not come into play.
111) The Dreamer’s Safe In My Bed Trigger allows a Nightmare to suffer the effects of an Attack Action as if it had been the target. Does the Nightmare need to be a valid target of the Attack? Does the Dreamer still suffer the effects of the Attack? How does this work with Attack Triggers that cause more Actions such as Onslaught? The Dreamer will not suffer the effects as the Nightmare is doing so instead. The Nightmare does not need to be a valid target of the Attack. If the Attack Triggers additional Attacks which must be made “against the same target” (such as with Onslaught) then the Nightmare will be the target of those Attacks. If the Nightmare is not a valid target for additional Attacks, they may not be made.
112) If the Dreamer uses the Safe In My Bed Trigger to force a Nightmare to suffer the effects of an Attack which may only target Leaders, do the effects still take place? For example, Somer’s Bigger Hat Than You Action. Yes, the Action would still happen as normal, simply with the Nightmare as the new target. In the case of Bigger Hat Than You, the Nightmare’s controller would still discard her hand.
113) The Black Blood Shaman’s Black Blood Pustule Action states that it may only target models with the Black Blood Ability. Can it target models with the Black Blood Condition? No. Abilities and Conditions are two separate things.
114) The Changeling’s Copycat Ability allows them to take the Attacks of other models; how does this affect their engagement range? It does not. Actions which Changelings may be able to take due to Copycat are not factored in when determing whether a model is engaged for the purposes of disengaging strikes, shooting into combat, etc.
115) If Pandora uses Self Loathing/Self Harm and gets a damage result with one or more b, are the blasts applied? Yes, so long as the b is a part of the damage track.
116) Can Tara use her Temporal Shift Action when she has zero cards in hand? Yes. The discard portion of the Action is an effect, not a cost.
117) With Tara’s Stutter Time, can she reflip a result which was already reflipped? No, a single Tara may only reflip the result once.
118) If the opponent is flipping to end the encounter, can Tara use the Stutter Time Ability to force them to reflip? If so, who flips the card? Yes, she can. The opponent would flip the new card from their own deck.
119) Tara’s Obliteration Symbiote Upgrade gives her Actions which target buried models, can she target buried models with them even though she doesn’t have LoS? Yes.
120) When Karina uses her Long Forgotten Magics ability to make a model that would be killed sacrificed instead, does Karina count as having sacrificed the model for encounter purposes? Yes. By discarding the card, Karina is sacrificing the model.
121) Can the Just Like You Action on the Malifaux Child be taken if the Crew’s Leader is not in play? No.
122) If Hannah copies Von Schill’s “He’s Mad Now…” Action with her “Make a New Entry” Action, is the Upgrade still discarded? Yes.
123) If multiple models are in range of Johan’s Open Revolt Action, would Johan make one healing flip and heal all models the flipped amount, or would each model flip its healing separately? Each model would flip its healing separately.
124) If the Brewmaster has used the Drinking Contest Action and a model declares a Charge against him from outside of the three inch aura, will it have to take a Wp duel to Attack the Brewmaster with the Attacks generated by the Charge Action if it ends the Charge inside the aura? Yes.
125) If the Brewmaster has used the Drinking Contest Action and is targeted by a Charge, what happens if the charging model fails one (or more) of the duels caused by Drinking Contest? If the model fails the Drinking Contest duel, it must take the (1) On the House Action instead of making an Attack. The model would test separately for each Attack. So, if a model charged the Brewmaster and failed the Drinking Contest duel on its first Attack, it would need to take the On the House Action instead of making the first Attack, but it would then test again for its second Attack.
126) When using Somer’s Tossed Feed Action, can Pigs already in base contact with the target attack the target, even though they technically didn’t push? No, as they did not end a push in base contact because there was no push.
127) Can Mah Tucket target herself with the Let Mah Handle This Action? Yes. The first push into base to base has no effect, but the second push still functions.
128) Wong’s Lightning Jump Attack can cause damage multiple times, first with the initial damage to the target, then with blasts, and finally with the pulse. How is the timing on this Action handled in regards to Abilities which react to damage, for example Black Blood and Malevolence? Can those Abilities be used multiple times in response to a single Attack? Each portion of Lightning Jump which deals damage must be resolved separately. First the actual damage track is resolved, which involves Blast Markers (remember that in the case that the order in which resolving damage from Blasts matters, the Attacker decides the order in which models suffer damage, Core Rulebook pg. 50). Once that is complete, resolve the Pulse portion of Lightning Jump. Models with Abilities such as Black Blood or Malevolence may resolve them multiple times if the relevant models suffer damage multiple times, and they must be resolved in the order the damage is suffered.
129) If a model declares a (0) Action within the Brewmaster’s Drinking Contest aura and fails the test, does it have to spend 1 AP for the On The House Action? What if it does not have enough AP? Can the model take another (0) Action? On The House does not cost any AP, as it’s an Action generated by an Ability (see the errata section). The original Action still used the AP, it was cancelled to take On The House instead. This means that the (0) Action was taken, so the model cannot declare a second (0) Action.
+ Ten Thunders
130) If Sensei Yu uses the Drinking Contest Ability, will models in range need to take two Wp tests? What if they aren’t in range to take the On The House Action? Yes, any models in range of both Auras would need to pass two Wp tests in order to perform an Action other than On The House. If the model is not in range of the Brewmaster’s Aura allowing it to take the On The House Action, failing the Wp test has no effect.
131) With Jakob Lynch’s Ace in the Hole Ability, can he only place aces which were flipped directly off the top of the deck into his hand? Or can he place aces into his hand which had been cheated/discarded as well? He can place any aces into his hand which ended up in the discard pile, regardless of whether they were cheated, discarded, flipped, etc. The language “When an ace from this Crew’s deck…” is simply meant to clarify that Jakob cannot place aces from his opponent’s deck into his hand.
132) When Mei Feng triggers Thunderous Smash from Jackhammer Kick does she push into base with the enemy model before or after it is pushed 3” away? Thunderous Smash is a trigger with the language “after damaging” which means that it is applied after Step 5: Determine Success of an opposed duel (rulebook pg. 32). During Step 5 the results of the Action are applied and one of the results of Jackhammer Kick is being pushed into base contact. So, Mei Feng would push into base contact, and then the target would be pushed due to the Thunderous Smash Trigger.
133) What happens if Mei Feng targets Pandora with Jackhammer Kick? What happens first, Pandora’s Fading Memory, or the push from Jackhammer Kick? Fading Memory occurs immediately after success, and the push portion of Jackhammer Kick occurs when applying the results of success or failure. Fading Memory would happen first, pushing Pandora. Then Mei Feng would be pushed into base contact due to Jackhammer Kick.
134) Can a single use of Yan Lo’s Transcendence Action be used to give a single model Armor and Spirit multiple times? No.
135) If Mei Feng uses the Vent Steam Action multiple times during a single Turn, do the auras stack? In other words, if she takes the Vent Steam Action twice, would a model targeting her with a Ca Attack Action suffer two -? Yes, the model would suffer two - as the auras stack. Effects in the game generally stack unless they are a Condition without a +/- number or say otherwise (Stacking Core Rulebook, pg. 53).
136) If Sidir uses the By Your Side Ability, but his base will not physically fit in base contact with the target, does he still become the target of the Action? Yes, Sidir will simply remain where he is and become the target of the Action. Note that the Ability does require LoS, so it is unlikely he will not fit somewhere and that if he can be placed, he must be placed.
137) Does Sidir’s Laugh Off Ability prevent him from being moved when he is forced to take a Walk Action due to Obey? No.
138) Does a model need to have the Brilliance Characteristic to be a valid target for Jakob Lynch’s Final Debt? Final Debt states, “Target model with the Brilliance Characteristic...” so, yes, the target must have Brilliance to be valid.
139) If Sensei Yu has the Promising Disciple Upgrade, and Hans discards one of Shenlong’s Upgrades, can Sensei Yu attach it? No. Sensei Yu may attach Upgrades discarded by Shenlong; the Upgrade was discarded by Hans.
140) If a model is targeted by a Charge Action and Sidir uses By Your Side to intercept it, but would not be within range to be Charged, what happens? Sidir successfully uses By Your Side and is placed into base contact, becoming the new target. Then, if the Charging model cannot end the Charge within range of Sidir, the Action ends with no further effect (note that the AP has already been spent).
An errata is a change to an already existing rule. Errata differs from an FAQ in that an FAQ is a clarification, where an errata is a change to the rules. A PDF of each card which received an errata is available as a free download on our website. All page references refer to the big rulebook, Malifaux Second Edition.
+ Core Rules
- Pg. 29, “Triggers” Section: Add the following text to the last paragraph: “Models may not declare Triggers during Disengaging Strikes or while Buried unless explicitly noted otherwise.”
- Pg. 36, “Chain Activations” Call Out Box: Change the second sentence of the second paragraph to: “A model may not Chain Activate itself, and a player can never declare the use of more than once such Ability between her opponent’s Activations.”
- Pg. 37, “Zero AP Actions” Call Out Box: Change the text of the call out box to: “Some models will have Actions that have an AP cost of 0. A model may take only one of these “free” Actions per Activation.” The text was changed to clarify that one zero Action may be taken per Activation rather than per Turn.
- Pg 38, “Actions Causing Actions” Call Out Box: Change the text of the first paragraph to: “Some Actions and Abilities will force or allow a model to take another Action. If an Action or Ability calls for another Action to be taken (such as Charge or “Make A New Entry”) then the additional Action or Actions do not cost any AP. The original Action is not considered resolved until the new Actions are also resolved.”
- Pg 40, New Call Out Box: Add the following Call Out Box titled “Drawing LoS to Markers.” It adds the following text: “If a model is standing completely on top of a non-terrain Marker in such a way that no LoS lines touch the Marker without first crossing another model’s base, LoS cannot be drawn to the Marker, regardless of Ht, Elevation, or Vantage Points (note that a 30mm model will never be able to block LoS to a 30mm Marker).”
- Pg 51, “Summon” Section: Change the text of the third paragraph to: “Summoned models must be placed within LoS to the model whose Action or Ability summoned them. In addition, the summoned model belongs to the Crew of the model whose Action or Ability summoned them, and is under the control of that model’s player (regardless of which player controlled the summoning model at the time of the summoning).”
- Pg 52, “Paralyzed” Condition: Change the text of the first paragraph to: “A model with the Paralyzed Condition generates no AP and can declare no Actions (whether or not its the model’s Activation). The model is also not considered to have an engagement range or to be engaging any models (and therefore cannot take Disengaging Strikes).” #